Updated Information on Heart Disease, Gender as well as Nutrition
- November 17, 2016
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: CPR Training
There has always been a disparity between men as well as women when the idea comes to heart disease. For years, the idea was thought of which heart disease only affected men as well as of which the idea was the rare woman who developed heart problems, let alone had a heart attack. We currently know of which heart disease does affect women, although of which their heart attack symptoms are different via a man’s “classic” signs as well as are often more likely to be ignored. There are several steps of which men as well as women cannot change of which increase their risk for heart disease, including their family history as well as genetics. However, there are different factors of which can be changed. Six updated guidelines are:
– Learn to relax, especially with meditation. Studies have shown a 47% reduction in death, heart attacks as well as strokes in those who started off practicing mediation after being diagnosed with heart disease.
– Education for self, families as well as community.
– Work to reduce blood pressure by losing weight, exercising as well as taking medication if the idea is actually needed.
– Know your waist measurement. Doctors have long said to lose weight or to control body mass index (BMI). However, brand-new studies suggest of which knowing your waist’s measurement may be more indicative of the heart disease risk of which you face. The larger your waistline, the more likely the idea is actually of which you are carrying your weight in your midsection. This kind of fat is actually linked to higher triglyceride levels as well as an increased risk of diabetes in addition to heart disease.
– Increase the amount of vitamin D of which you get. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to some forms of cardiovascular disease. Food sources include milk, salmon as well as fortified cereals. We also get vitamin D via the sun.
– Manage diabetes. Heart disease is actually the main cause of death for those with diabetes. 65% or more of those with diabetes will die via a heart problem or stroke. Diabetics are also two to four times more likely to have heart disease inside first place.
– Get enough sleep. The right amount of sleep every night can affect stress hormones, blood pressure as well as the metabolism.
Different Genders, Different Risks
When plaque builds up in a man’s arteries, the idea tends to block them off as well as cause obvious problems. However, recent studies have shown of which when the same thing happens in a woman’s arteries, they just get bigger to accommodate both the plaque as well as the blood flow. Unfortunately, of which means of which the plaque is actually not being spotted by traditional tests of which are only looking for blockages. The plaque accumulates over a lifetime, some think starting during pregnancy. The buildup can cause symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath as well as fatigue, which is actually often misdiagnosed by most doctors as something different than heart disease. Because the testing methods of which are currently being used do not spot a blockage, the women are not cautioned to be alert to heart attack or different symptoms as well as are therefore more likely to die via their heart disease than a man could. There is actually a newer test of which is actually recommended of which can look at the smaller as well as more subtle symptoms of which could indicate early cardiovascular disease. This kind of test, the myocardial contrast echocardiography, is actually noninvasive, relatively inexpensive as well as can see far more than the traditional tests ever could. Anyone with risk factors should find out if the testing is actually available in their area
How Losing Weight Can Help
Losing weight can help to keep the risk of heart disease reduced. In addition to reducing the risk of heart disease, losing weight can reduce the risk of diabetes, hypertension, kidney disease as well as some cancers. Losing weight may also make the idea easier to get the right amount of exercise, which in turn can help to lose more weight. Staying active may also help in preventing arthritis as well as may slow the progression of some mental conditions, including Alzheimer’s disease as well as different dementia.
Even a modest reduction in weight can be beneficial, especially in those who are apple shaped (modest legs, larger midsections). Monitoring the waist to hip ratio may be even more important than keeping track of the body mass index.
Heart disease in women tends to start quietly as well as develop gradually as well as without notice although is actually also ironically more likely to result in their death. A man’s heart disease may present with problems fairly early as well as may not be fatal right away. In fact, a man may have several smaller heart attacks before he suffers a fatal one. A woman’s first heart attack is actually more likely to be her last.
Losing weight should never be about a fad or uncontrolled diet, which is actually also bad for the heart as well as the rest of the body as well. Sudden, large amounts of weight loss can throw the heart into abnormal rhythms, for instance, as well as may increase the risk of gall stones in those who are predisposed to them. the idea is actually also important to note of which there are different problems noted with extreme weight loss, as well as the idea is actually equally important to note of which the faster the weight goes, the more likely the idea will be to come back right away.
Healthy as well as Balanced Nutrition
The American Heart Association suggests of which the best weight loss plan is actually one of which stresses healthy foods as well as includes all of the major food groups. The aim should be to lose no more than one pound per week as well as to make gradual lifestyle modifications. Getting the right amounts of carbohydrates, fats as well as proteins is actually important. Using the DASH diet might be helpful as well. DASH (dietary approaches to stop hypertension) is actually the diet plan of which is actually given to those who are combating high blood pressure, although the idea can be perfectly beneficial to others as well. the idea emphasizes fresh fruits as well as vegetables, low-fat dairy products as well as reduced sodium intake.
Using a protein supplement as either a between-meal snack or a meal replacement can be a not bad way to help reduce weight without causing the deprivation as well as starvation of severe reduced-calorie diets.