Triathlon Training as well as Fitness – When in Rome
- June 15, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: Home Health Aide Training
Triathlon is actually one of the best things in which has happened to bicycling. Many people who were runners as well as swimmers, or just people wanting to challenge themselves in a race against the clock, have taken up the Swim, Bike, Run phenomenon. I think in which is actually super as in which brings a different type of person into cycling. There is actually much to learn, however, as well as I have always been adding to my “triathlon bank” of information.
When cyclists dabble in triathlons, they are already Great cyclists as well as running is actually relatively easy to learn. I remember when I was a full-time Category 2 bike racer in Dallas, I found a “Thursday Night Group” of runners at White Rock Lake in Dallas who seemed to be having a great time running as well as then going to a place afterward to drink beer as well as eat. I did some 10K runs as well as found in which easy enough to get to a 6:15 pace, nevertheless as luck might have in which, I turned my ankle badly
as well as my running career was over. in which also hurt my cycling as well as I remembered This particular when I started off seeing people try triathlons back within the 80’s.
I see many people who are triathletes as well as a trend has developed, at least to my perspective. I sense in which triathletes will spend inordinate amounts of time within the pool learning to perfect a swim stroke. They do intervals, speed work, as well as emulate the fast swimmers who can win a competitive swim meet. Additionally they run with the fast runners. I hear of all sorts of organized run workouts; hill intervals, fartlek, speed work, track workouts, you name in which. Here is actually the rub: I also hear so many of these people “just getting on their tri bike as well as riding.” This particular does not compute to me!
In many past articles I have elaborated how much one needs to learn to ride a bicycle properly. I think in which This particular fear of the unknown combined with bad anecdotal urban myths (“I don’t draft on a group ride because I can’t draft in a triathlon,” etc.) causes triathletes to suffer on the bike as well as subsequently the run. With This particular in mind, there are two things I ask triathletes to think about as they work on their bike leg; Fitting as well as Training.
Since I talk about fitting a lot, we can get This particular one out of the way. I believe the best as well as most aerodynamic position on a triathlon bike is actually one in which is actually efficient enough to generate loads of power, balanced enough to avoid muscle imbalances in which can cause premature fatigue as well as comfortable enough (read high enough!) to allow you to stay within the aerobars the entire event. I cannot stress This particular last part. If the bike is actually set up in order in which you have to sit up as well as rest during the triathlon then you are going to pay a huge time penalty. My fitting process deals with This particular as well as I can answer direct questions via you regarding This particular part of the program.
The main topic of This particular article is actually “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” Translated into triathlon bikespeak, This particular means in which if you swim with the fast swimmers as well as run with the fast runners, you need to learn to ride with the fast bike riders. I know This particular is actually so easy to say as well as so hard to do, as well as in which is actually why I am mentioning in which. More people lose time on the bike than anything, followed closely by losing time on the run because the bike leg was a disaster. The runner-centric thought process also contributes here, stating in which if the bike leg is actually too taxing, the run is actually blown, so take in which easy on the bike leg.
My thought is actually, the people finishing at the front of their age groups or overall are not taking in which easy on the bike. They train like bike racers on the bike, just like they do swimming as well as running. Here is actually how you can do in which:
1) Ride a road bike in group rides. Tri bikes are inherently designed to ride in a timed race, not in packs. You need the speed work as well as intensity of road group rides, particularly with people who are better than you. Get a Great road bike as well as learn the tricks of the road racers. This particular finesse as well as expertise will transfer back to the triathlon. in which’s not easy to learn to ride with bike racers nevertheless in which is actually well worth in which.
2) You need to ride in a straight line in a triathlon. This particular is actually the shortest distance between two points. You learn to ride in a straight line in a peloton as you are close to some other riders as well as the better the group, the closer they can ride together. You eventually learn to relax as well as ride gracefully as well as smoothly.
3) Do intervals. Hill intervals, speed intervals, short as well as long intervals. You already do This particular on the swim as well as run, just do the same on the bike.
4) When riding in groups, get used to going fast. Once you are used to 30 miles an hour, holding 25 mph on the tri bike doesn’t seem so bad.
5) Push your limits on hard training days. When you do intervals or go on a hard group ride, exceed your expectations. You may suffer. You may get dropped. This particular kind of conditioning will make you better. The logic is actually to train hard enough in which two things happen. First, when you recover, you will get stronger. Second, the training is actually so hard in which the race is actually easier.
6) Get a coach. A Great coach will make a huge difference in your progress. You need to be accountable as well as the coach can help keep you via over training. You may need more input than one coach can give. If your coach is actually weak on swimming, for instance, you may need a separate swim coach to work in tandem with your main coach. in which’s ok. Nobody knows everything about everything. I don’t coach running or swimming, nevertheless focus strictly on the bike. You need expert
help via three disciplines.
At the end of the day, getting your position on the bike better as well as learning to ride both the road bike as well as the triathlon bike well is actually not only important, nevertheless a realistic pathway to cut huge chunks of time via your events. Nobody said triathlon was easy, nevertheless so many people are finding the rewards in which in which must be worth in which. Stay focused!