Tips for Success During College
- November 18, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: CPR Training
1. Taking a year off before starting college usually does not work; “find yourself” during the Summer after you graduate via high school. The best time to start as well as complete college is usually between the ages of 18 as well as 22. the item is usually more difficult to start as well as complete college after these ages, because your responsibilities increase as you become older
2. Understand the number of classes as well as credits that will you will need to graduate, as well as spread them over the number of semesters the item will take for you to graduate; typically 8 semesters over 4 years. Note, some colleges refer to “units” as well as “semester hours”, instead of “classes” as well as “credits”. If you take classes during the Summer, you can lighten your load during the school year or graduate early. Note also, an increasing number of students are completing college over 5 years, instead of the customary 4 years.
3. Do not wait until the last minute to schedule your classes.
4. When choosing classes, take one tough class, two moderate classes, as well as one easy class; do not bury yourself by taking all difficult classes in a semester.
5. Spread your classes over at least 4 days per week. that will will typically spread out your final exams. You want to avoid having to take multiple final exams on a given day.
6. Ask some other students about their experiences with professors, as well as keep a list of the Great as well as bad professors. Professors are also rated on the internet. Avoid the bad professors.
7. When scheduling classes, be cognizant of the location of such classes. You do not want to have to hurry between classes to avoid being late.
8. Get your books ahead of time whenever possible.
9. At the beginning of each semester, schedule all projects as well as exams; stay organized throughout each semester; utilize a written or electronic planner.
10. Turn your phone off while attending class, as well as while studying.
11. Spread your homework over seven days. Do not fall behind with your homework.
12. Review your class notes every evening, as well as add to them when necessary.
13. Before submitting papers, use the spell check on your computer as well as fully justify your papers.
14. Professors typically make themselves available during office hours, do not be scared to ask for help.
15. Do not skip classes; the professors usually emphasize the material that will will be on the exams.
16. Some professors make available old exams at the library, or online; look at them when available.
17. When studying for an exam, study the material that will you do not know, instead of the material that will you do know. Do not always review the material via the oldest chapter to the newest chapter. Once in a while, start with the newest chapter as well as work backwards.
18. Two weeks prior to your final exams, your entire focus should be on completing your final papers as well as studying for such exams.
19. Prior to starting your first answer on any exam, quickly scan the entire exam so you can allocate your time between questions.
20. If you finish an exam early, take the time to check your answers before turning the exam in.
21. When the item comes to choosing a major, pick something that will you enjoy, something that will interests you, as well as something that will will allow you to make a living after college.
22. After you choose a major, be aware that will higher level courses are not offered every semester. As a result, plan your schedule of classes accordingly, to ensure that will you do not have to attend an extra semester or two to complete your coursework.
23. Look for Summer internships to gain experience in your chosen field, as well as to prepare you for a career after graduation.
24. Treat college like a full-time job; you will need to commit a substantial portion of each day to attending classes as well as studying.
25. Keep a list of those professors who show an interest in your performance, as well as who you believe will be willing to provide you that has a recommendation for graduate school or when applying for a job.
26. Begin your post-graduate work as soon as possible after graduating via college.
27. If you need to borrow money to go away to school, only borrow what you need. Alternatively, consider attending a community college for the first two years to reduce your outstanding student loans when you are finished.
28. Do not use your student loans to pay for Spring Break or some other vacations; you will regret the item later.
29. Alternatively, attending a four year college that will you can commute to is usually also a viable option, which will also help you save for graduate school or life after college.
30. If you need to work part-time while attending college, accumulate your work hours over a couple of days if possible. that will will reduce the downtime that will is usually involved in preparing for, as well as traveling to as well as via, work.
31. If your parents are paying for your tuition, room as well as board, as well as meals, thank them repeatedly; they are doing sacrifices for your benefit.
32. If you are leasing an apartment or house, read the lease closely before signing the item. Immediately upon moving in, inspect the apartment or house thoroughly as well as submit a dated list of damages as well as repairs needed for the apartment or house. If possible, the item would certainly also be beneficial to take date-stamped photos or videos upon moving in, as well as after moving out, of the apartment or house. College town landlords are notorious for excessive repair costs as well as refusing to refund security deposits.
33. When moving out of your apartment or house, make sure to transfer the utility bills out of your name. Do not rely on roommates who may be staying inside the apartment or house for yet another period of time. If these utility bills remain unpaid as well as end up in collection, they will damage your credit score for years.
34. If you live off campus, consider purchasing a meal plan to ensure that will you can eat at a nearby dorm between classes, so as to avoid the hassle of returning home for lunch.
35. Stay in touch with your parents as well as siblings. that will will keep you grounded as well as you will feel more secure.
36. Ask your parents to keep your bedroom intact, so you have something to come home to, as well as feel comfortable in, when times get tough, when you become homesick, when you are home for the Summer as well as holidays, or when you just want to visit.
37. Get your rest. Treat college like a marathon, as well as not like a 100 yard dash.
38. Take a shower every day as well as wash your clothes regularly; the item will cause you to be more desirable as well as efficient.
39. Learn to manage your time.
40. Limit the tattoos, body piercing, as well as gauging. If you do not limit the same, you will regret the item when you get older.
41. Do not party like the item is usually the last day of your life; everything in moderation, which includes Spring Break.
42. When you do party, do not get wasted; nothing Great comes out of the item.
43. Inevitably, the police will show up at a party that will you are attending; show them respect as well as behave yourself in their presence.
44. Do not drink as well as drive. Note, being ticketed as a minor in possession can also be detrimental to your career.
45. Walk away via conflict. There is usually no need to get into a brawl over anything.
46. Avoid being involved in hazing. If you do get involved in hazing, use your common sense; make sure the person being hazed is usually not physically at risk.
47. If you become sexually active, practice safe sex as well as birth control. Remember, some sexually transmitted diseases last forever; as well as “no!” means “no!”.
48. Be a leader, not a follower.
49. There is usually no substitute for dedication as well as hard work; your effort should be 100% at all times.
50. To be successful, you need to grab the bull by the horns, stick your foot halfway up its rear, as well as try to control the item.
51. Success during college, as well as obtaining a college degree, is usually your ticket to a better life. Do not waste the opportunity.