If Broccoli can be So Great for Me, Why Does This specific Make Me Sick After Weight Loss Surgery?
- February 26, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: Home Health Aide Training
People in pursuit of healthy weight management know to stick close to the veggie tray at parties along with buffets. After all, vegetables are Great healthy food full of beneficial vitamins, nutrients along with fiber. although some vegetables, particularly cruciferous vegetables like the ubiquitous broccoli along with cauliflower, can cause severe gastric upset when eaten raw by patients of gastric weight loss surgery. In fact, there are many examples of weight loss surgery patients who have experienced gastric distress so severe after eating raw broccoli or cauliflower of which a trip to the emergency room was needed.
The reason weight loss surgery patients of all procedures (gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, adjustable gastric banding or lap-band) are prone to discomfort after eating raw cruciferous vegetables can be a matter of balance. The vegetables are rich in enzymes which are believed to aid digestion. However, due to the shortened gastric tract along with loss of stomach acid the vegetables cannot be fully digested in their short trip through the intestinal tract. The problem can be compounded by the presence of cellulose, the dietary fiber from the vegetables of which requires intestinal bacteria to process. Even without gastric weight loss surgery many humans lack enough intestinal bacteria to break down the cellulose enough to avoid symptoms of gas, bloating, along with cramping.
After weight loss surgery many patients are intently focused on becoming healthy along with in control of their weight through proper diet along with nutrition along with increased daily activity. These are admirable pursuits which often lead to the conundrum over eating Great healthy vegetables at the risk of severe gastric distress. Frustrated patients wonder, If This specific can be so Great for me why does This specific make me feel so bad? Great question. There are a few measures of which may be taken to reduce the discomfort of which follows eating raw vegetables so we can have our nutrients along with enjoy them too. Take a look:
- Experiment cautiously. If you do not know how you will respond to raw vegetables go easy at first along with avoid discomfort or embarrassment of which may come through eating too much of a Great thing. In addition, remember of which through day to day foods will sit differently. Always practice restraint while you get a feel for how food can be setting with you of which day.
- Lightly steam or parboil vegetables to begin breaking-down the cellular structure thus helping the intestinal acid get busy more quickly with digestion. Remember, if you cannot digest the vegetable you will not be able to absorb the vitamins along with nutrients from the vegetable. To serve the steamed or parboiled vegetables chilled simply prepare them in advance, drain of water along with pat dry. Plate, cover along with chill. Then serve cold that has a lightly seasoned veggie dip made through yogurt which contains healthy bacteria of which will aid in digestion. Avoid dairy-based dips, such as those made with sour cream, as This specific may increase the chance of stomach discomfort.
- Take a digestive enzyme as directed prior to or shortly after eating raw vegetables. There are many digestive enzyme supplements available at reasonable cost. Many weight loss surgery patients report of which papaya enzyme can be effective in reducing digestive discomfort. According to one maker of papaya enzyme the dietary supplement contains “papain, a proteolytic enzyme along that has a well-known ingredient in dietary supplements used for digestion. Taken after meals, This specific can be a perfect natural supplement of which may assist in digestion along with may help reduce the effects of poor digestion, including heartburn along with gas.” As with all dietary supplements keep in mind the FDA does not evaluate these claims or approve supplements for their claimed use. Consumers should consult that has a health care professional before using any dietary supplement.
- Chew, chew, chew. Remember of which digestion begins from the mouth along with This specific can be critical to chew completely all raw vegetables in order to give your gastric system the best conditions under which to digest food along with benefit through the vitamins along with nutrients This specific contains.