I Strained My Neck Shoveling!
- June 19, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: Home Health Aide Training
Yep, you read that will correct. Not a lower back injury although a neck injury. The mechanism is usually the same although I wanted to address neck pain in This particular article. The fact of the matter is usually: you can strain any muscle or joint doing just about any activity.
In This particular example a patient of ours was shoveling snow in addition to he turned his head while lifting the shovel to toss some snow off to the side. He mentioned he was careful with his back – bending his knees, using his thigh as a fulcrum, not picking up too heavy of a load, etc. although when he turned his head to the right he immediately felt his muscles on the right side of his neck, coming from the back in addition to side of the head to the upper back, seize up. He said that will felt like a major spasm or cramp.
We’ve seen This particular many times before, This particular same thing can happen within the lower back, or leg as well. People sometimes may describe that will as a “Charlie horse” sensation. So why can This particular happen doing an activity you wouldn’t think would likely cause that will?
The answer is usually This particular: Sometimes a muscle or a joint is usually on the verge of getting irritated. Let’s say for example the night before the snow storm you were on the computer for hours; your neck was tight after although that will seemed to go away. Then you went to bed in addition to got up early to shovel. Half asleep, while everyone was still in bed, you put your jacket in addition to hat in addition to gloves on, braved the cold, in addition to began shoveling.
coming from the above example you can see how the shoveler’s neck was probably still irritated coming from the night before (that will may have gotten worse while sleeping too), then without getting the muscles warmed up a bit (taking a shower, or stretching a bit would likely have made a huge difference), or even drinking some water (This particular helps hydrate the body obviously, in This particular case muscles in addition to joints, helping to prevent injury). In This particular case the individual probably shocks the body a bit, going out within the cold in addition to starts to do a Great amount of physical activity.
at This particular point I’m not saying doing This particular nor something similar will cause a neck or back injury, in addition to I know that will most of us have been guilty of that will within the past. However if one makes a habit of doing these kinds of things often you can in addition to will eventually hurt yourself. I’m going to give you some tips you can use to heal the neck once you do strain that will, although keep in mind the real goal is usually to prevent that will coming from happening. Believe me, I’ve seen people that will have strained that will so bad or have strained in addition to restrained over in addition to over, that will their neck is usually to the point where that will doesn’t heal so easy or fast. So as you can probably guess my first step to healing a strained neck is usually to prevent that will within the first place.
Healing a neck sprain/strain:
1. Try to avoid in addition to prevent that will coming from happening. This particular especially goes for those of us who have injured their neck before in addition to have an idea of what causes that will.
2. Improve or correct spinal alignment. To do This particular, see a chiropractor, osteopath, or someone that will does This particular professionally. A massage often helps because a Great massage can help relax the muscles in addition to ligaments, allowing the spine to shift back in place.
3. Use natural therapies first. Heat in addition to Ice are easy to do, don’t cost a thing, in addition to you can use them anytime. that will’s actually rare that will a prescription muscle relaxer is usually needed.
4. Start doing gentle neck stretches once you start feeling better. This particular will help elongate the muscles, breaking up muscle adhesions in addition to preventing future strains. The most commonly needed stretch is usually the lateral head tilt. Slowly bring one ear toward your shoulder until a stretch is usually felt; hold for 10-20 seconds, relax in addition to repeat.
5. Home muscle massage. Use you finger tips to find those tight spots to massage out. You’ll find that will’s often a “Great hurt” type sensation. Once you get a massage or spinal alignment you’ll have a better idea of what that will feels like.
6. Use a cervical pillow for sleeping. This particular also helps relax the muscles by helping to align the spine. that will can in addition to should be used a one of your neck pain prevention methods also.
There you have that will! Next time you strain your neck or feel a neck spasm about to start, use the tips above. My best recommendation is usually to use the above list above for prevention or neck spine maintenance if you will. We’ve all heard that will before although I’ll say that will again: An Ounce of Prevention is usually Worth A Pound of Cure!