I Strained My Neck Shoveling!
- June 23, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: Home Health Aide Training
Yep, you read that will correct. Not a lower back injury however a neck injury. The mechanism is usually the same however I wanted to address neck pain in that will article. The fact of the matter is usually: you can strain any muscle or joint doing just about any activity.
In that will example a patient of ours was shoveling snow along with he turned his head while lifting the shovel to toss some snow off to the side. He mentioned he was careful with his back – bending his knees, using his thigh as a fulcrum, not picking up too heavy of a load, etc. however when he turned his head to the right he immediately felt his muscles on the right side of his neck, coming from the back along with side of the head to the upper back, seize up. He said the idea felt like a major spasm or cramp.
We’ve seen that will many times before, that will same thing can happen within the lower back, or leg as well. People sometimes may describe the idea as a “Charlie horse” sensation. So why can that will happen doing an activity you wouldn’t think might cause the idea?
The answer is usually that will: Sometimes a muscle or a joint is usually on the verge of getting irritated. Let’s say for example the night before the snow storm you were on the computer for hours; your neck was tight after however the idea seemed to go away. Then you went to bed along with got up early to shovel. Half asleep, while everyone was still in bed, you put your jacket along with hat along with gloves on, braved the cold, along with commenced shoveling.
coming from the above example you can see how the shoveler’s neck was probably still irritated coming from the night before (the idea may have gotten worse while sleeping too), then without getting the muscles warmed up a bit (taking a shower, or stretching a bit might have made a huge difference), or even drinking some water (that will helps hydrate the body obviously, in that will case muscles along with joints, helping to prevent injury). In that will case the individual probably shocks the body a bit, going out within the cold along with starts to do a not bad amount of physical activity.
at that will point I’m not saying doing that will nor something similar will cause a neck or back injury, along with I know that will most of us have been guilty of the idea within the past. However if one makes a habit of doing these kinds of things often you can along with will eventually hurt yourself. I’m going to give you some tips you can use to heal the neck once you do strain the idea, however keep in mind the real goal is usually to prevent the idea coming from happening. Believe me, I’ve seen people that will have strained the idea so bad or have strained along with restrained over along with over, that will their neck is usually to the point where the idea doesn’t heal so easy or fast. So as you can probably guess my first step to healing a strained neck is usually to prevent the idea within the first place.
Healing a neck sprain/strain:
1. Try to avoid along with prevent the idea coming from happening. that will especially goes for those of us who have injured their neck before along with have an idea of what causes the idea.
2. Improve or correct spinal alignment. To do that will, see a chiropractor, osteopath, or someone that will does that will professionally. A massage often helps because a not bad massage can help relax the muscles along with ligaments, allowing the spine to shift back in place.
3. Use natural therapies first. Heat along with Ice are easy to do, don’t cost a thing, along with you can use them anytime. the idea’s actually rare that will a prescription muscle relaxer is usually needed.
4. Start doing gentle neck stretches once you start feeling better. that will will help elongate the muscles, breaking up muscle adhesions along with preventing future strains. The most commonly needed stretch is usually the lateral head tilt. Slowly bring one ear toward your shoulder until a stretch is usually felt; hold for 10-20 seconds, relax along with repeat.
5. Home muscle massage. Use you finger tips to find those tight spots to massage out. You’ll find the idea’s often a “not bad hurt” type sensation. Once you get a massage or spinal alignment you’ll have a better idea of what the idea feels like.
6. Use a cervical pillow for sleeping. that will also helps relax the muscles by helping to align the spine. the idea can along with should be used a one of your neck pain prevention methods also.
There you contain the idea! Next time you strain your neck or feel a neck spasm about to start, use the tips above. My best recommendation is usually to use the above list above for prevention or neck spine maintenance if you will. We’ve all heard the idea before however I’ll say the idea again: An Ounce of Prevention is usually Worth A Pound of Cure!