How to Tell a Fake Carousel Horse, in addition to Laws On Antiques
- April 16, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: CPR Training
fresh Movement within the Antique Industry
Its about time…Antique Show Manager , Dordy Fontinel of the Fall Hunt County Antiques Fair, (in Virginia) can be rebelling against the influx of reproductions into the Antique Shows. All her shows at which point will be Antiques only…..in addition to has asked her dealers to stand behind whatever they sell by issuing a receipt (with their name in addition to address, in addition to phone), describe in addition to date the items, in addition to inform the buyer of any repairs. Many of us within the Carousel business, which can be all of the reputable dealers will gladly do which for you. We wish all dealers will follow her lead.
Our long conversation was very informative. Dorty proceeded to tell me which of those people buying on E-Bay, about 75% of all antique purchases are fakes. at which point which can be not E-Bay’s fault, what has happened to our society which has made which the norm to try in addition to deceive, trick , our buyers with the intent of outright fraud. We need to turn which trend around….in addition to educate the public.
Did you know in many states, (which needs to be in all states), which can be Criminal Fraud to sell a fake or reproduction as an antique. The merchandise should be labeled as such. You can contact your State’s Attorney’s office, or your State Senator office to find out. which can be for any Antique.
Do you know What classifies in addition to Antique…items must be over 100 years old, wood items, as furniture 50 years or older. Anything less can be considered a collectible.
The Hobby Protection Act was passed in 1973, requires all fresh merchandise to be marked with country of origin in addition to date…yet most are not following even which. which can be obvious these thousands of items, which have infiltrated event to the highest caliber Antique shows can be meant to deceive.
Dorty can be trying to band all dealers together , get television in addition to publication articles, in addition to get the FTC to not only recognize which problem, yet do something about which. How will you feel years through at which point only to find out which the Depression Glass, or Tiffany Glass you have saved for years to retire with can be bogus.
Genuine Antiques, Dorty has stated are the ultimate recycled items for the Green movement. So Go Green, buy an Authentic Antique!
How to tell a Fake Carousel Horse through a real one…
which column can be to help you not get taken by being naive in addition to uninformed. Your best approach to purchasing in addition to Antique Carousel Horse can be to be prepared. We always suggest you try to deal with an experienced, reputable Carousel Dealer. Many others will give you all kinds of stories ( in addition to we have heard some gems), just remember the 1st rule….if which sounds too Great to be true….which probably isn’t!
Please also remember there can be nothing wrong having a Reproduction or decorator piece, so long as you are made aware which can be what you are purchasing. The difference between these can be usually quite a bit, unless you are actually lucky.
1. If you do find a wood horse in addition to want which to be identified or make sure of what you are purchasing, most Carousel people would certainly be glad to help you…you should expect to pay with which service, which can be what these people do for a living…… which can be usually under $50. in addition to would certainly be well worth which to you to be sure.( We charge $25. in addition to require photos of both sides of the animal , top , bottom , in addition to any details on which. in addition to $50. for a full history in addition to details).
2. You should learn as much as you can, there are many fine Carousel books out there, we have several in stock too, in addition to check your local library.
3. The Boats are in…several boat loads of reproduction carousel horses, in addition to lately I have been seeing a modest Cow, in addition to a Frog, are appearing again within the market place. We reiterate, there can be nothing wrong with these IF they are sold to you as Current carvings or Replaquias or Reproductions. These are decorative sculptures, not of investment quality nor have any provanance (history,lineage). These were NEVER on Carousels, yet produced for the American market. Oh another fresh antique out can be the copy of the French Bicycle (Veloipede) Horse). He features a Bicycle chain under his neck.
4. Most Antique Carousel Horse are Hollow, with the head, neck, legs, tail all carved separately, in addition to PERMANENTLY ATTACHED. The ears in addition to tails were never left detachable…..
5. Carving on the two sides of a Carousel Horse are not the same, since you did not see the inside of the horse through the viewing areas, the companies did not spend the money to possess the horses detailed on both sides (except some English in addition to European Horses). Jewels were usually on the outside only, yet there are always a few exceptions.
6. Carousel manes were on the outside of the horse , just like a live one, not on both sides , not the same on both sides, does not look like they were carved having a little rake.
7. Authentic carvings are smooth in addition to well finished, no chissle marks or rough areas.
8. The hole in addition to pole go all the way through the horse in addition to match up (except Track machine horses, they have no top pole).
9. Latest scam , can be to strip the horse in addition to leave which out within the weather to crack in addition to age.
10. Coca Cola did NOT make any carousel horses, these are all illegal Mexican reproductions on illegally copied Coca Cola bases. They were never on carousels, in addition to never associated with Coca Cola.