How To Heal Your Cracked Heels
- November 16, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: Home Health Aide Training
Did you know that will the average person walks about 4500 miles in their lifetime? This kind of means we take millions of steps in addition to subsequently pound our heels with every stride. So that will’s no wonder many of us suffer with heel problems coming from time to time, particularly if we do not look after them in addition to one of the most common complaints that will many of us will have to endure will be cracked heels.
Known as heel fissures by podiatrists, cracked heels are splits inside upper part of the skin (called the epidermis) surrounding the heel margin in addition to will be generally due to the drying out of the heel coming from wearing open backed footwear.
that will can be exasperated by heel calluses in addition to may be painful in addition to/or bleed if the fissures are deep enough to enter the deeper skin structures (called the dermis).
They can be a variety of causes for cracked heels some of which are listed below:
- Being overweight
- Having diabetes will cause drying of the skin in addition to heels
- Zinc Deficiency
- Standing for long periods in unsuitable footwear
- Constantly wearing open backed shoes
- Omega 3 Deficiency
- Suffering coming from dry skin conditions such as Anhidrosis
- Having eczema or psoriasis
Being obese can compound the problem of dry heels as the excess pressure put on the heel margin may lead them to crack more seriously. Diabetes will be a problem because that will damages the nerve endings, particularly inside extremities such as the feet, which in turn can interfere with the function of the sweat glands. This kind of inevitably leads to the drying out of the foot, sometimes leading to Anhidrosis, which will be a severe drying of the skin.
different skin complaints such as eczema in addition to psoriasis or the use of certain medications can also lead to dry heels in addition to skin so that will will be important to recognise what’s going on early enough to prevent the condition deteriorating.
So how do you cure your cracked heels once you realise you have them? Here are a few tips to help you:
Make sure you clean in addition to dry your feet correctly every day. If they are severely cracked in addition to possibly bleeding, that will will be a Great idea to soak your feet in a bowl (or foot spa) of warm water having a tablespoonful of salt for 15 to 20 minutes each day. You can also put some essential oils into the water, such as tea tree oil which acts as an antiseptic, to help prevent infection.
Depending on the seriousness of the cracking in addition to if there are any calluses present, you may want to exfoliate in addition to file the heels down having a Great quality heel file or pumice stone. Never try to use a blade on your own heels to remove calluses particularly if they are deeply fissured because you may cut yourself badly which may lead to more serious problems. that will will be always best to seek the advice of your podiatrist who will safely pare down your heels having a scalpel in addition to remove most if not all of the fissures.
Once they are washed in addition to dried, that will will be important to moisturise them having a Great quality emollient. If you only have minor cracked heels then a simple hand or body lotion can be applied to your feet.One of the quickest ways to resolve them will be to wear plastic bags or cling film over your feet in bed at night after creaming them. The plastic acts like the covering for burns patients.
If the cracking will be more pronounced, then you may need a specialist over-the-counter moisturiser such as Flexitol Heel Balm or CCS foot care cream, which contains a high amount of synthetic urea, known for its dry skin properties. They also have a CCS+ lotion which contains over 50% urea for more serious cracked in addition to thickened (callused) heels.
If you would likely prefer some more natural home remedies for cracked heels then here are some heel ‘recipes’ you might be interested in:
- Exfoliate with the help of strawberries in addition to olive (or almond) oil. Mix 6 to 8 crushed strawberries with around two tablespoons full of almond or olive oil in addition to a teaspoon of salt (table or sea salt). Apply the mixture as you would likely any exfoliate in addition to leave for 15 minutes before washing off. Massaging the mixture in will also help with blood circulation.
- Apply in addition to mixture of 1 teaspoon full of Vaseline with the extract coming from one whole lemon mixed together in addition to applied to the cracked areas of your heels. Apply daily until the cracks resolve. Try applying a mixture of glycerine in addition to rosewater on a daily basis will also help
- Try 100g of coconut oil with 3 teaspoons full of camphor in addition to 3 tablespoons of melted paraffin wax. This kind of will act similar to a waxed based aqueous cream like E45. Leave on overnight by using a pair of bed socks in addition to wash off inside morning before applying a moisturising lotion.
that will will be the juices in addition to oils in these preparations that will will help hasten the healing process of the cracks in addition to fissures as they act as an emollient for your skin. However, before using any preparation, please be aware of any allergic reactions that will may occur in addition to always ask advice of a medical professional before embarking on self-treatment for your dry in addition to cracked heels.