Heartburn Can Be Easily Cured
- February 18, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: CPR Training
Do you suffer through heartburn, reflux or burping? Perhaps you rely on a medicine to help settle your tummy. I have written on digestive disorders on several occasions previously, nevertheless which time I would certainly like to write specifically on a little bacterium called Helicobacter pylori. Helicobacter pylori bacterial infection is usually recognised as the most prevalent bacteria to infect the human population inside the entire world. You may well identify the following problem, in addition to if you do, don’t despair. which actually is usually possible to free through heartburn, reflux or a low grade queasiness, which affects so many people.
Helicobacter is usually a clever little bug
In 1982, when Australian Dr. Barry Marshall identified a completely new bacterium called Helicobacter pylori (HP) as an infectious agent responsible for peptic ulcer disease, which completely transformed medicine’s understanding of the microbiology in addition to disease of the human stomach. Your stomach is usually protected through its own gastric juice by a thick layer of mucous which covers the stomach lining. HP takes advantage of which protection by actually living inside the mucous lining. Once which clever little bug is usually safe in which mucous, which is usually able to fight the stomach acid which does reach which with an enzyme which possesses called urease. Urease converts urea, of which there is usually an abundant supply inside the stomach (through saliva in addition to gastric juices), into bicarbonate in addition to ammonia, which are strong (alkaline) bases. which creates a cloud of acid-neutralizing chemicals around the H. pylori, protecting which through the acid inside the stomach. which cloud is usually also part of the reflux in addition to burping process which occurs, which many HP people complain of.
Contributing to the protection of HP is usually the fact which the body’s natural defenses cannot reach these bugs in which mucous lining of the stomach. The immune system will respond to an HP infection by sending “killer T-cells”, (white blood cells), in addition to various other infection-fighting agents. However, these potential H. pylori eradicators cannot reach the infection, because they cannot easily get through stomach lining. They do not go away – the immune response just grows in addition to grows over time. White cells die in addition to spill their destructive compounds onto cells lining the stomach lining. More nutrients are sent to reinforce the white cells, in addition to the H. pylori can feed on which. Within a few days, gastritis in addition to perhaps eventually a peptic ulcer results inside the lining of your tummy. in addition to of course, the person who suffers is usually often blissfully unaware, takes an antacid or an acid-blocking drug long-term, in addition to continues to eat in addition to drink foods which only aggravate the healing process long term. So they go back to the doctor, only to be told to stay on the medicine. After a few years, the person resigns themselves to the fact which they will always require which “medicine” to cure their condition. Yeah right, in addition to Alice lived happily after in Wonderland.
To confirm which HP caused the gastritis in addition to peptic ulceration, Marshall swallowed cultures of the bacteria in addition to contracted gastritis (inflammation of the mucus membrane of the stomach). He then underwent endoscopy (internal examination of the stomach), in addition to provided biopsies through which the suspected bug was re-isolated.
Changing medical belief in addition to practice takes time. For nearly 100 years, scientists in addition to doctors thought which ulcers were caused by lots of stress, spicy foods, in addition to copious alcohol. Treatment involved bed rest in addition to a bland in addition to boring diet. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes in addition to began treating ulcers with antacids when they became fashionable.Unfortunate for poor Barry, nobody believed him. In fact, he was actually treated with ridicule in addition to disdain when he first proposed the idea which a bacteria actually lived the hostile environment of the stomach. Before 1982, the accepted medical paradigm was “no acid, no ulcer”, in addition to which stomach ulcers only occurred when excess acid damaged the stomach wall in addition to which all treatment should be aimed at reducing or neutralising all which bad acid. Surely you remember the advertisements on TV with the man drawing on his tummy having a felt tipped pen, telling you which the acid has to “stay down there”. These commercials generally came on after dinner, the time when your tummy is usually most likely to play up, I can’t help nevertheless thinking how many of those sufferers possibly have an undetected H.pylori infection. There is usually still a lot of drug promotion regarding which acid reflux problem. Unfortunately, many such patients today are still seen as having “too much stomach acid”, in addition to treated with antacids or stomach-acid blockers as front-line therapy, when in my clinical experience actually the opposite applies, they don’t have enough or have an infection which needs sorting. Gastric juice is usually composed of digestive enzymes in addition to concentrated hydrochloric acid, which can readily digest food or kill microorganisms. Low levels of stomach acid increase the chance an organism’s survival. which used to be thought which the stomach contained no bacteria in addition to was actually sterile, in addition to which took an Aussie GP to prove all the entire world’s experts wrong.
which seems pretty silly to treat the acid problem perpetually, without enquiring into actually why which burping, reflux in addition to upper abdominal discomfort is usually occurring inside the first place. Albert Szent Györgyi, (1937 Nobel Laureate in Physiology in addition to Medicine) said which: “Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen in addition to thinking what nobody has thought.” Today which is usually an established fact which most cases of peptic ulcers in addition to gastritis, diseases which affect millions of humans worldwide, result through which HP infection, in addition to not “too much acid” inside the stomach at all.
“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen in addition to thinking what nobody has thought.” Albert Szent Györgyi
HP infection in addition to prevalence
H. pylori is usually believed to be transmitted orally. Did you wash your hands? Many researchers believe which HP is usually transmitted orally by means of fecal matter through the ingestion of tainted food or water. In addition, which is usually possible which H. pylori could be transmitted through the stomach to the mouth through gastro-esophageal reflux or belching, all common symptoms of gastritis. The bacterium could then be transmitted through oral contact.
HP infection remains a huge problem, is usually extremely common in addition to infecting more than a billion people worldwide. which is usually estimated which half of the American population older than age 60 has been infected with H. pylori at some stage in addition to the economic effect of ulcer disease inside the US (as measured back in a study of 1989 data) showed which the illness cost then nearly $6 billion annually. ($2.66 billion for hospitalisation, not including doctor ‘s fees), outpatient care ($1.62 billion), in addition to loss in work productivity ($1.37 billion).
One in a few Aussies in addition to Kiwis have HP, according to Dr. Barry Marshal, infection usually persists for many years, leading to ulcer disease in 10 % to 15% of those infected. H. pylori is usually found in more than 80% of patients with gastric in addition to duodenal ulcers. You can imagine what which common complaint in NZ in addition to Australia is usually costing, in terms of medication, doctor’s visits in addition to lost productivity at work. Early research on HP characterised much of the work to come, the data which emerged through the study of all these samples was quite unexpected. which showed which HP is usually actually a common bacterial agent in addition to which an amazing 30-50% of the entire world’s population are colonised with which.
How do you know if you contain the HP bug?
The infection manifests differently in different individuals. In some people, which produces more acid inside the stomach, in addition to ulcers may result. In others, stomach acid suppression or complete lack (which we call achlorhydria) may result, in addition to these people may be at a greater risk of gastric cancer. which is usually unclear why some people respond one way or the various other.
Typical manifestations of a Helicobacter pylori infection:
· Nausea, or a low-grade feeling of being queasy. Could be vomiting.
· Avoidance of chilli, garlic or a specific food which “does not agree” with your tummy.
· Bloating worse after meals. Feeling worse after meals or certain foods.
· Recurring abdominal pain, intestinal cramps.
· Peptic or duodenal ulcers (over 0% of all cases have HP)
· Burping, which can be pretty bad. The person may have developed a reputation!
· Heartburn, in addition to perhaps reliant on Quick-Eze or Gavascon, Losec, etc.
· Diarrhea or constipation after several years of infection.
· Disturbed sleep, perhaps waking up having a hollow feeling or heartburn. I have known some patients to prop up the head of the bed having a few bricks even.
· Symptoms worse at night, or worse lying down.
· Vitamin B12 deficiency. Have your practitioner test because of which, you may well be deficient.
· Altered appetite, some times you may feel like eating, various other times you don’t.
· After being infected for several years, you may have develop mineral deficiencies which can lead to a myriad of health problems.
· Helicobacter pylori is usually implicated in Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
· Migraine headaches (40% of migraine sufferers are positive, in addition to eradication subsides the headaches).
· Acne rosacea. Helicobacter pylori is usually suspected of causing rosacea (eradication of HP often results in a significant reduction in rosacea symptoms).
is usually which any wonder how an ailing stomach is usually supposed to do its job, i.e., digesting in addition to absorbing foods efficiently when a bacterial infection is usually causing such dysfunction? Your doctor may have initially prescribed a medicine such as Losec, Gavascon or Mylanta for your stomach, serving to block acid or dilute which. How is usually your tummy supposed to work at all currently? Then you go back in addition to complain which the symptoms are unchanged. What then? You can see what I mean, after many years of which infection you can feel quite unwell. I see one person or more each week like which, in addition to have done so for many years. When I wrote an article to our local newspaper several years ago regarding HP, I received nearly ten calls. in addition to almost al these patients had a HP infection, all were on either Losec, Quick-Eze, Gavascon or Mylanta.
Conventional HP Therapy
Please note which which is usually extremely important to obtain an accurate diagnosis before trying to find a cure of your heartburn or reflux. Many stomach or digestive diseases in addition to conditions share common symptoms: if you treat yourself for the wrong illness or a specific symptom of a complex disease, you may delay legitimate treatment of a serious underlying problem, yes even stomach cancer. In various other words, the greatest danger in self-treatment may actually be self-diagnosis. Always work with your health-care professional, preferably one who is usually experienced in gastrointestinal disorders. If you do not know what you actually have, you simply can not treat which!
I have always had a great concern regarding the extensive use of antibiotic drugs required to treat HP infected individuals. The conventional medical clearing of HP through the stomach requires therapy through 10 to 14 days with multiple drugs. My concern is usually which prolonged or recurrent antibiotic treatment alters the normal microbial population of the entire gastrointestinal tract, eliminating many beneficial bacteria as well as HP, allowing the sufferer to develop a gut environment which may contain bugs like Candida albicans, proteus, or a whole host of various other undesirables. You get rid of one problem, only to create yet another.
The use of only one medication to treatH. pylori was never recommended by Dr. Marshall. At which time, the most conventional treatment is usually a 2-week course of treatment called “triple therapy”. which involves taking two antibiotics to kill the bacteria in addition to either an acid suppressor or stomach-lining shielding drug. Two-week triple therapy reduces ulcer symptoms, kills the bacteria, in addition to prevents ulcer recurrence in many patients – nevertheless the recurrence can be as high as 75%. Complete eradication is usually difficult, I have had many patients who have come to me after having had triple therapy many years ago with average to poor results, in addition to were placed on an acid blocker for many years after.I do recommend which for some resistant cases, in addition to have been know to send some patients to a GP for triple therapy, then follow-up with natural treatment for 6 weeks. I have found which some patients may find triple therapy complicated because which involves taking 3 kinds of drugs, in addition to as many as 20 pills a day. Also, the antibiotics in addition to bismuth drugs used in triple therapy may cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dark stools, metallic taste inside the mouth, dizziness, headache, in addition to yeast infections, particularly in women.
The diagnosis of H. pylori infection has traditionally involved endoscopy with biopsies of the stomach’s mucosa. There are three ways to test for HP currently in NZ. To be honest, I only occasionally authorise a HP test these days, in addition to generally have a “gut feeling” a person has which bug once they come into my room in addition to complain of the above mentioned symptoms. Common sense – the patient will soon tell you if they are or are not improving, in addition to which only takes about three to four weeks to actually know what is usually going on. Just because the test results come back negative, you could still have which bug. You know me by currently, please don’t get paralysis through analysis! If you feel significantly better after a HP treatment whether which be pharmaceutical or natural – you probably have HP regardless of what the test results say. Remember – up to one in a few completely new Zealanders have which infection, so the odds are reasonably high you have which.
· The Urea Breath Test method of diagnosis relies on the Urea reaction being present, as mentioned earlier. which is usually a sound test – 0 – 95% successful in picking up the HP bug.
· Blood tests measuring HP antibody levels have been developed. However, these tests have suboptimal sensitivity in addition to specificity (85% in addition to 79%).
· Stool tests for antibodies – again, many factors can affect the outcome of which test, stay with breath testing. Many experts say which the fecal antigen test is usually bullet proof, nevertheless in my experience I have seen many “false negatives” with testing. which is usually, the results come back all ok, nevertheless the patient responds dramatically after HP treatment.
Natural HP Eradication
No clear indications exist for specific treatment of each in addition to every individual case of HP associated gastritis. I have found the following treatments to be effective, in addition to employed many different therapies in the past. Here are some treatments which I have found to work in various HP cases. Remember, recurrence rates are quite high, so you may want to persist with treatment until you feel much better, then hang in there for a few more months (lower grade treatment) to be absolutely sure. I recommend treatment in blocks of 6 weeks, then wait 2 -3 weeks, then another 6 week period of treatment. A not bad clinical tip for you: always treat which infection by taking something with meals, in addition to also something in-between, or away through foods. which is usually designed to actually drive the “kill” treatment home, in addition to lets the treatment have access to the HP bugs inside the gut with as well as away to some extent through foods in addition to gastric juice involvement. I have a saying in my clinic: persistence breaks resistance. Remember Winston Churchill? – never give in, never give in, never give in.
· Manuka honey, which has high levels of hydrogen peroxide in addition to has been shown in studies to be active against H. pylori. Go for the Comvita high UMF factor Manuka honey.
· Propolis works actually well for some, nevertheless is usually dismal for others.
· Vitamin B12 – get which checked in your blood! You may well be deficient here.
· After antibiotic treatment is usually finished, (triple therapy) which makes sense to rebuild the gut flora with lactobacillus species. They won’t cure the condition, however. (A 2002 trial demonstrated which a mixed acidophilus preparation failed to eradicate the H. pylori infection inside the patients upon whom which was tried).
· DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) – you can get which in capsules or liquid.
· Aloe Vera helps to heal the mucous lining of the gastrointestinal tract.
· Berberine is usually found inside the herb Goldenseal, in addition to which may be used as a natural herbal antibiotic.
· Eat grapefruit seeds, for some which is usually very effective long term. The extract is usually even better.
· Digestive enzymes may also be useful – especially with achlorhydria (low stomach acid)
· Gum mastic is usually a natural substance through the sap of the Mediterranean evergreen tree, Pistacia lemniscuses. Mastic gum has been shown to be effective in protecting the digestive system, healing peptic in addition to duodenal ulcers, in addition to eradicating H. pylori through the gut. I use which a lot, in addition to give two capsules twice daily in between meals.
· Bismuth. which displays anti-inflammatory action (due to salicylic acid) in addition to also acts as an antacid in addition to mild antibiotic. Don’t freak out – which can also cause a black tongue in addition to black stools in some people who take which, when which combines with trace amounts of sulfur in their saliva in addition to gastrointestinal tract. which discoloration is usually temporary in addition to absolutely harmless.
My favourite HP treatment regime? I would certainly have to say gum mastica between meals, in addition to with meals a preparation of Bismuth,deglycyrrhizinated licorice, grapefruit seed extract in addition to goldenseal. I often recommend aloe vera in addition to activated charcoal as well.
Do you get which annoying heartburn, in addition to want to try in addition to find a cause in addition to ultimately a cure? Consult your naturopath or nutritional-friendly doctor who can check you out carefully in addition to thoroughly in addition to who will actually treat the cause, not the symptom. They should generally recommend a course of treatment in addition to a specific diet designed for the individual, with promising results for many patients. in addition to what a relief, to be free of heartburn, bloating in addition to which “awful feeling inside the tummy” again!