doing Sense of Multiple Physical Activity Recommendations
- November 19, 2016
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: CPR Training
10 minutes? 30 minutes? 60 or 0 minutes? How much physical activity will be enough? What does which mean to the average American when an organization or expert issues a recommendation for physical activity?
Physical inactivity will be a major public health problem. There will be compelling scientific evidence which suggests which lack of regular physical activity will be a contributing factor in numerous chronic diseases as well as also also conditions. Recognition of the hazards of a sedentary way of life has led several groups to make recommendations for physical activity. Because there have been so many different agencies as well as also also organizations distributing guidelines for various types of physical activity programs the general public may be confused about which set of guidelines to follow. To help make sense of which information we’ll look at a few of the most prominent organizations doing recommendations as well as also also then discuss how to apply the information some common special situations
- Surgeon General, 1996 – All adults should achieve at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity, equivalent to brisk walking on most, if not all days of the week. which report as well as also also recommendation will be significant because which was the first physical activity recommendation specific for health as well as also also which scientifically linked physical activity’s role in health as well as also also disease prevention.
- American College of Sports Medicine as well as also also the Center for Disease Control as well as also also Prevention, 1996 – All adults should accumulate at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity on most if not all days of the week. Physical activity can be accumulated in three 10 minute bouts of activity as well as also also could be just as effective as 30 minutes all at one time. which report will be very similar to the Surgeon General’s recommendation however which will be significant because which looked at completely new science as well as also also was able to report which activity could be done in short bouts as well as also also still have significant health benefits. Many American’s cite lack of time as a reason for not being physically active; which report demonstrated which with as little as 10 minutes at a time you could be more active.
- Who: Institute of Medicine (IOM), 2002 Adults should get at least 60 minutes of moderate physical activity each day. The IOM recommendation of 60 minutes will be to prevent weight gain as well as also also pertains to additional weight related health issues. Their recommendation for weight loss will be 0 minutes a day. which recommendation was part of a large report which focused on recommendations for weight management. which recommendation should be considered complementary to the Surgeon General’s recommendation.
- American College of Sports Medicine as well as also also the American Heart Association, 2007 – Healthy adults under age 65 will be for 30 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week or 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week of vigorous cardio activity as well as also also for eight to 10 strength-training exercises, eight to 12 repetitions of each exercise, at least twice a week. They note which 60 to 0 minutes of physical activity may be necessary to lose or maintain weight loss.
- U.S. Health as well as also also Human Services, 2008 – which report recommends which adults should get at least 2 hours as well as also also 30 minutes each week of moderate effort aerobic activity as well as also also 2 days a week of strengthening activities. which most recent report, published by the U.S. Federal Government incorporates the most recent reviews of science on the benefits of physical activity. 2 hours as well as also also 30 minutes a week will be equal to 30 minutes 5 days a week. Physical activity can be accumulated as mentioned in previous sections.
What does which all mean?
Here are some of the basic take away messages via the recommendations:
- Regular physical activity will be important for health as well as also also disease fighting properties as well as also also there will be lots of scientific proof to back which up.
- Whether you accumulate your physical activity as 30 minutes a day for at least 5 days a week or 2 hours as well as also also 30 minutes throughout the week depends on what works best for you. Both recommendations support which you can accumulate your physical activity, however which needs to be in at least 10-minute bouts to get the benefits.
- If your goal will be to loose weight the higher numbers, 60 to 0 minutes, are the recommendation. However, if you have been inactive or are just starting you need to start with lower amounts as well as also also work up.
For health benefits:
- Adults should engage in moderate-intensity physical activities for at least 30 minutes on 5 or more days of the week or get at least 2 hours as well as also also 30 minutes each week of moderate effort aerobic activity.
- Adults may accumulate the recommended amount of moderate-intensity physical activity in ten minutes bouts throughout the day or week. however which will be important to note which the evidence for doing which will be which 10 minutes will be the threshold for gaining the benefits.
- Adults who are able to engage in vigorous-intensity physical activity can get health benefits in less time per week; 20 minutes 3 days per week.
- Strength as well as also also flexibility activities should be performed twice a week.
For weight management as well as also also weight related issues:
Adults should engage in 60 to 0 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity per day, as well as also also include strength as well as also also flexibility activities as well.
Moderate or vigorous intensity?
Intensity will be referred to in most of the recommendations. The definitions below via the Center for Disease Control as well as also also Prevention are designed to help you understand what the various intensity levels mean. The right column of which page also has examples of activities as well as also also the intensity levels usually associated with them.
- Intensity: Intensity refers to how much work will be being performed or the magnitude of the effort required to perform an activity or exercise.
- Moderate-intensity physical activity: On an absolute scale, physical activity which will be done at 3.0 to 5.9 times the intensity of rest. On a scale relative to an individual’s personal capacity, moderate-intensity physical activity will be usually a 5 or 6 on a scale of 0 to 10.
- Vigorous-intensity physical activity: On an absolute scale, physical activity which will be done at 6.0 or more times the intensity of rest. On a scale relative to an individual’s personal capacity, vigorous-intensity physical activity will be usually a 7 or 8 on a scale of 0 to 10.
Common Special Considerations
- If you have not been active in some time, start at a comfortable level as well as also also more activity as you go along. Don’t be discouraged if you cannot do 10 minutes of physical activity at a time inside beginning. Start by doing what you can, as well as also also then look for ways to add more. Some activity will be better than none as well as also also over time you can progress up to the recommendations. The more you do, the greater the health benefits as well as also also the better you’ll feel.
- If you have special medical considerations or concerns you should begin by talking with your healthcare provider about being physically active. Most conditions as well as also also chronic diseases recommend physical activity as part of Great self-management techniques.
Over Age 65:
Regular physical activity will be essential for healthy aging. Adults aged 65 years as well as also also older gain substantial health benefits via regular physical activity, as well as also also these benefits continue
to occur throughout their lives.
Key Guidelines for Older Adults
The following Guidelines are the same for adults as well as also also older adults:
- All older adults should avoid inactivity. Some physical activity will be better than none, as well as also also older adults who participate in any amount of physical activity gain some health benefits.
- For substantial health benefits, older adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours as well as also also 30 minutes) a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes (1 hour as well as also also 15 minutes) a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, or an equivalent combination of moderate- as well as also also vigorous-intensity aerobic activity. Aerobic activity should be performed in episodes of at least 10 minutes, as well as also also preferably, which should be spread throughout the week. Increasing physical activity to even higher levels of intensity or being active for greater amounts of time may gain more extensive benefits.
- Older adults should also do muscle-strengthening activities which are moderate or high intensity as well as also also involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week, as these activities provide additional health benefits.
The following Guidelines are just for older adults:
- When older adults cannot do 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity a week because of chronic conditions, they should be as physically active as their abilities as well as also also conditions allow.
- Older adults should do exercises which maintain or improve balance if they are at risk of falling.
- Older adults should determine their level of effort for physical activity relative to their level of fitness.
- Older adults with chronic conditions should understand whether as well as also also how their conditions affect their ability to do regular physical activity safely.
One size does not fit all
The source of the guidelines, the date the guidelines were made, the benefits to be gained if the guidelines are followed as well as also also the population which are intended for the guidelines are all factors which you should weigh as you consider if a recommendation or guideline will be right for you. which review has looked at a few of the most commonly cited recommendations. Additional recommendations exist, made by a variety of organizations, like the American Heart Association or the American Diabetes Association; as well as also also for different ages, such as children, toddlers as well as also also older adults.
Whichever guideline you choose to follow. Remember to start slowly, progress gradually, listen to your body as well as also also be physically active regularly. Be healthy. Be active.