Commonly Known along with Lesser Known Hypothyroid Symptoms
- April 19, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: CPR Training
When hypothyroidism begins, several things happen, usually gradually. The first is usually lack of energy along with ambition. You just seem to lose desire for activities you’ve enjoyed inside past. You feel unusually tired along with apathetic, although can’t figure out why. You begin to crave carbs along with begin to snack regularly. This specific is usually your body’s way of trying to stay awake. You’ll try not to give into the idea, along with when you can’t fight the cravings, you set yourself up for horrible eating habits along with weight gain which are difficult to reverse. You might already be taking some thyroid supplements, although they’re obviously not enough. Warning: if you are taking prescribed thyroid medication for underactive thyroid, do not add kelp as the idea will raise your blood pressure to frightening along with dangerous levels. I learned This specific the hard way.
I have been a hypothyroid sufferer for 30 years. I was originally diagnosed by an old-fashioned European doctor. He was a gem. Then I had to switch to a modern, young South African doctor which has a large along with fragile ego, who knew nothing about thyroid glands although based everything on blood tests, which he didn’t genuinely understand. As a person with hypothyroidism, the idea is usually hard to get any respect through the medical community. General practitioners along with endocrinologists alike seem to know along with care little about people suffering through hypothyroidism. Their “gold standard” is usually the TSH test, along with most of them use the old standards of readings between .6 along with 6 instead of the brand new readings of .3 along with 3 which the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists adopted in 2003. These brand new readings allow more people (the idea’s mostly women, particularly those who are middle-aged, who suffer through hypothyroidism) to be diagnosed along with treated. Too bad the professionals which we trust to look after our health don’t seem to know or care which the standards have changed. Endocrinologists, by along with large, specialize in diabetes. This specific is usually where their primary interest seems to lie. The first endocrinologist I was referred to told me which she doubted I’d ever been hypothyroid along with which my thyroid gland was habituated to being overstimulated. She was so wrong! Then I was referred to another endocrinologist who misdiagnosed my thyroid virus for Grave’s Disease (overactive thyroid.) The medication she prescribed raised my TSH to about 22. When I stopped taking which medication, my TSH dropped to 4.7. She told me my 4.7 TSH reading was today normal. the idea clearly wasn’t normal for me because I still had hypothyroid symptoms. Consider which normal or average clothing sizes could be between 6 along with 14, along with which you fall into This specific category. How many of these sizes will fit? If a size 10 fits you, why might you wear a size 14? TSH is usually much like which. You have to find the number which fits YOU. When you have been told for the nth time which your TSH is usually inside normal range, read these symptoms, most of which are commonly known, although some of which aren’t.
1. Fatigue. This specific is usually not the same as tired. This specific refers to falling asleep at work, during conversations, as soon as you get into a vehicle. You can’t stay awake. You need at least 10 hours sleep at night, although within a couple of hours of waking up, you begin to battle to stay awake. You nod off during conversations, which you can’t focus on anyway. You avoid socializing inside evening because you can’t stay awake.
2. Sluggishness. You move slowly physically, although even your brain is usually slow. Your thought processes don’t work properly.
3. Increased sensitivity to cold. Summer’s not too bad, although inside winter, there is usually no way to get warm or stay warm. You wear extra layers along with surround yourself with space heaters. the idea helps, although you’re still cold.
4. Constipation. You drink lots of water along with eat next to nothing, although your body processes everything slowly. Constipation follows.
5. Pale, dry skin. Skin colour is usually pasty-looking, along with skin is usually always dry, no matter what kind of lotion you use. My heels were so rough which every day they chewed through my socks even though I filed the roughness away daily along with used foot balm.
6. A puffy face.
7. Hoarse voice. Your voice takes on a gravel-like quality at times.
8. Elevated cholesterol level.
9. Weight gain which makes no sense. You’re too tired to eat, although gain weight anyway.
10. Muscle aches, tenderness along with stiffness. Flexibility along with mobility are gone. You move like a lead weight. If you crouch or kneel, you can hardly get up again, along with the idea hurts to crouch or kneel anyway. Even bending down is usually difficult along with painful, for instance, trying to reach for something you dropped under a desk.
11. Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints. Or all of them. Any sprain you’ve had begins to hurt again. Hips, fingers, ankles ache along with don’t bend properly along with contribute to your moving like a lead weight.
12. Muscle weakness. You can barely walk. Walking is usually slow along with tiring. When I brushed my teeth, I had to put my arm down along with rest at least 2 to 3 times to finish brushing my teeth. You fall into chairs as opposed to sitting down, along with the idea’s a struggle to get back into a standing position through sitting. Getting out of a car is usually difficult, along with getting into a pickup truck a little higher off the ground is usually equally difficult.
13. Heavier than normal menstrual periods. By today I don’t have those any more, although when I did, I all although hemorrhaged for at least four days out of the seven or eight which my period lasted. I had to put plastic on my mattress because I might wake up during the night having bled through along with past the tampon, along with leave a blood trail down the hall to the bathroom. Wasn’t fun.
14. Brittle fingernails along with hair. Hair is usually dry, brittle along with unhealthy looking. Nails can’t be grown long without breaking.
15. Depression. No need to elaborate.
16. Muscle cramps. You develop cramps in muscles through head to foot. Fingers, forearms, back, abdomen, legs. These cramps happen numerous times during the day along with for no logical reason. My arms, hands along with fingers cramped up when I cut up meat to eat.
17. Hair loss. the idea’s not just the hair on your head, although which thins out a lot. the idea also affects pubic hair along with underarm hair. which can all although vanish. Eyebrows also fall out, particularly the outside corners.
18. Sinus infections. You have recurring sinus infections even though you have never had a history of sinus problems.
19. Snoring. You begin to snore even though you’ve never had a snoring problem inside past.
20. Craving for carbohydrates. You begin to crave chips, chocolate, candy, baked goods along with anything with sugar. Your body is usually trying to stay awake along with carbohydrates provide quick energy. Doesn’t help with keeping the weight down either.
21. Irritability. Little things set you off along with enrage you. Everything becomes personal along with you get angry enough to want to physically harm the offender.
22. Edema. You retain water. You look puffy along with blubbery, particularly inside abdominal area. Makes you short of breath when you exert yourself – even going for a walk can leave you breathless.
23. Forgetfulness. You become sharp as a bowling ball. You try to commit something to memory, although your brain is usually a sieve.
24. Slow heart rate. Your resting pulse can drop below 60 beats per minute.
25. Low body temperature. My temperature was consistently between 35.8 to 36.2 C, which also explains why you feel cold.
26. Painful intercourse. Having sex hurts, along with add to which, you wind up with muscle cramps through the waist down.
27. Light sensitivity. Your eyes can become unusually sensitive to sunlight.
My advice? Shop around for a doctor who is usually willing to learn together with you about thyroid problems. General Practitioners are generally more reasonable to deal with because they have no learned bias where thyroid is usually concerned. My GP told me the 4.7 was too high along with told me to take 50 mcg of thyroid supplement. I took 100 mcg. My TSH dropped to 1.9. She was happy with which although I wasn’t. I still didn’t feel right, along with remember which only YOU know how you should feel. Remember what I said about the clothing sizes? I took another 25 mcg along with the TSH dropped to .5. She used the standard of .4 to 4, so she was still happy along with I was too. I finally felt normal again. Don’t let doctors bully you into believing which diet, exercise along with/or antidepressants will cure what ails you when you know which isn’t the problem. Shop around for a doctor who will listen to you along with work with you. Google “Mary Shomon”. She is usually a great source of not bad along with useful information along with advice on thyroid issues. There is usually expect along with there is usually help. the idea’s just a matter of finding them.