Colorado Medicaid Vision Care Benefits – 6 Things You Need to Know About Your Eyecare
- February 24, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: Home Health Aide Training
Your Colorado optometrist may participate in Medicaid as well as provide eye exams as well as glasses for your children at no cost to you. Almost 1 of every 4 children in Colorado is actually insured through Medicaid. Because so many children are covered under Medicaid there are six points you need to understand.
- Medicaid coverage for vision varies state by state so don’t presume you will hold the same benefits when moving to Colorado via another state. There are different types of vision care coverage for children as well as adults. improvements in eye care benefits have occurred inside the last few years, as well as will continue to change with health care reform. Expansion or cut backs in benefits may occur at any time. Medicaid is actually a state run program run in cunjunction with the Federal Governement. States can vary the coverage policies to some degree. The state of Colorado has that will’s own plan. One example of the differences is actually adult coverage. Adults have a $2.00 co-pay for eye exams as well as limited benfits for eyeglasses. Many states have full coverage for adults.
- For Medicaid vision coverage in Colorado, children’s vision insurance coverage is actually defined by age 20 as well as under. When reaching age 21, Colorado Medicaid considers you an adult as well as the benefits change. Children are eligible for an eye exam by their optometrist as needed with no co-pay.
- Contact lens fitting fees entail additional charges above the regular eye examination. These are not covered unless there is actually an eye disease that will warps the cornea. Contact lenses may be the only way to provide acceptable visual acuity. The actual contact lenses are also not covered unless their is actually an applicable medical diagnosis. This particular is actually not a area where a patient can plead their case. If there are specific medical conditions requiring contact lenses your eye doctor has to file a form to have your case considered. The review process can take several weeks to several months. that will is actually normally approved if contact lenses are the only way to correct your vision due to a corneal eye disease. Your optometrist may have to submit a form for prior authorization more than once to communicate the need for special consideration, so you will need to have some patience.
- A standard eyeglass frame as well as lenses are covered with no co pay. A standard frame means frames are limited to inexpensive frames. that will does not mean they are necessarily low quality. Your optometrist is actually only allowed a limited reimbursement for the eyeglass frame. Repairs for broken frames or lenses are a benefit, as well as a replacement frame is actually provided if the frame cannot be repaired. While This particular is actually not necessarily an unlimited benefit, that will can be used more than once if your child is actually prone to breaking glasses. Loss of eyeglasses is actually not specifically defined as a benefit yet may be covered.
- Lens treatments such as scratch resistant coatings, glare free coatings, tints, as well as thin lens materials are not covered. Scratch resistant coatings are the one option you should purchase. Prescription eye glass lenses without a scratch coating will most likely have scratch marks on them within a day or two of teenager usage. Scratch resistant coatings are not scratch proof, yet they will certainly extend the usable life of the lenses. There is actually a way to have thinner, lighter lenses covered for your child. If you request polycarbonate lenses, they will be much thinner as well as attractive for higher eye glass lens prescriptions, as well as help your child’s self image. Polycarbonate lenses are usually recommended for children as well as teens needing eyeglasses due to their extreme impact resistance.
- additional services may be available with prior authorization. Vision devices for children that will have significant sight loss via eye diseases, some lens treatments, therapy for lazy eye, as well as additional services are sometimes approved. Don’t expect a fast approval, yet that will is actually worth the wait when the service ends up being covered.
Medicaid is actually constantly changing as well as This particular information is actually provided as educational, not as representative of current state policy. Different types of programs are available in some areas of Colorado. Eligibility for enrolling in Medicaid as well as understanding your vision benefits is actually your responsibility, as well as the State of Colorado has resources to help you. Visit the Colorado State website at: www.colorado.gov/hcpf [http://www.colorado.gov/hcpf]. Thousands of children are eligible for Medicaid coverage in Colorado yet are currently not enrolled or covered by any insurance plan. You can help keep your kids healthy by taking the time to enroll them right now, as well as keeping up with annual preventative eye doctor examinations.