CNA Certification in Texas – A Crucial Requirement for Entry-Level Nursing Career
- August 27, 2016
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: Home Health Aide Training
Certified nursing assistants are direct patient care workers assisting elderly people suffering through the age related chronic conditions, or living with disabilities. They help residents with personal care, basic nursing care as well as activities of daily livings. Estimated 70% to 80% of the total routine cares inside the licensed facilities, nursing homes as well as homes of the patients are performed by Certified Nursing Assistants, Personal Care Aides as well as Home Health Aides, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Among different top states for CNA employments, the state of Texas can be termed as an ideal destination for nursing aides because TX is actually one of the top states for CNA employments. There is actually increased demand for certified nursing assistants inside the state’s elderly community care facilities, hospitals, surgical hospitals, home health agencies as well as homes of the long-term care patients.
There are various factors in which can be attributed to greater demand of CNAs inside the state including:
- TX is actually second most populous state inside the US.
- There are more than 1200 certified facilities inside the state, including over 0 hospitals, of which many are nationally ranked.
- About 10.5% of total Texas population consists of the elderly population.
- There is actually acute nursing shortage in TX, same as various other US states.
However, to perform as a nursing assistant inside the state, few necessary steps must be completed including:
- Enrollment as well as successful completion of a state-approved Nurse Aide Training Program (NATP)
- Complete the Testing procedures as well as Pass the state competency evaluation exam (CEP), as well as apply for a CNA Certification in Texas
- Register as a Certified Nurse Aide on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry.
The Texas Department of Aging as well as Disability Services (DADS) has the responsibility to regulate, maintain as well as oversee TX NATP, CEP, CNA Certification in Texas (license), as well as Registration as a Nurse Aide.
CNA Certification Exam (CEP)
The Texas Department of Aging as well as Disability Services has contracted a nationally recognized testing agency Pearson VUE to develop, administer as well as report the testing result to Nurse Aide Registry. The passing of the competency test is actually mandatory for receiving CNA Certification in Texas as well as using the title “certified nursing assistant” by a nursing aide.
The state-approved CEP or NNAAP test consists of two separate as well as independent parts – a Written (or Oral) Test as well as a Skills Test. Pearson VUE as well as NACES jointly administer both the Written/Oral Test as well as Skills Test inside the long-term care facilities. The testing students first complete a Written Test before proceeding to Skills assessment. The nurse aide testing evaluator provides the scoring on the basis of performance by the candidate. In order to receive a Certification as well as register with the TX Nurse Aide Registry, the applicant has to pass both parts. The award of certification as well as registration with the Registry also grant legal work permission to certified nursing assistants, as well as they can perform in varied settings.