CMM along with Software Project Planning
- January 4, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: Home Health Aide Training
Software project planning can be a Key Process Area (KPA) of which spans many of the knowledge areas through the PMBOK as the item describes activities performed during the planning phase of a software project. The knowledge involved include: Integration Management, Scope Management, Time Management, Cost Management, Human Resource Management, Procurement Management, Risk Management, along with Communications Management. The only area not touched can be Quality Management. Many project managers also define a change management process of which covers each area of the project along with describe of which process in a Change Management plan. This particular plan also supports the Software Project Planning KPA.
CMM divides This particular KPA into goals, commitments, abilities, activities, measurements, along with verifications. This particular article will attempt to relate each of these to its PMBOK component.
CMM defines 3 goals because of This particular KPA: software estimates are documented along with used to plan along with track the project, activities are documented along with planned, along with affected groups agree to their commitments. These goals are supported by the Time Management knowledge area with the exception of the agreement of “affected groups” to their commitments. Agreement of senior management along with various other stakeholders to the plan can be accomplished by Gate Review meetings described from the Communications Management plan along with agreement of various other team members can be described from the Human Resources Management plan.
Commitment to Perform
The first commitment can be of which a project software manager can be designated for managing the work. This particular would certainly be you. The Project Charter can be the document of which speaks to This particular. The next commitment can be of which the project follows a written organizational policy for planning a software project. Unless your organization includes a PMO, or PMC, you won’t be able to meet This particular commitment to perform; your plans apply only to the current project along with aren’t part of a standard applicable to all projects. Some of the specifics of This particular commitment can be supported by your plan, however. Some will be supported by your Project Management plan. This particular could be one document or a compilation of plans for each of the knowledge areas. The second commitment requires negotiation of the requirements with the project manager, software project manager, along with various other software managers. This particular process can be described in your Scope Management area from the Requirements Gathering process. The process of negotiating the participation of the various software development groups on the project should be described in your Human Resources Management plan. This particular can be described for you from the Acquire Project Team process. Keep in mind of which while the PMBOK can be referring to the entire team, CMM refers to only those groups engaged in software development.
The second commitment also specifies of which senior management reviews all software related commitments made to external stakeholders. This particular review should take place at a Gate, Phase Exit, or Business Decision Point review meeting which will be described in your Communications Management plan. Keep in mind of which This particular meeting will review all project commitments, not just software related ones. These reviews are described in more detail for you from the Context along with Integration Management areas of the PMBOK.
Ability to Perform
CMM requires the work of the project to be described in a Statement of Work (SOW). Again, CMM only refers to of which portion of the work related to software development. The PMBOK describes the SOW along with its use from the Integration Management along with Procurement Management knowledge areas. The description from the PMBOK will deliver an SOW of which satisfies CMM criteria. Although the PMBOK specifies This particular artifact for work of which can be procured externally, an SOW must be produced for each project to satisfy the CMM criterion.
The second ability requires responsibility for developing the project plan to be assigned. This particular can be your work along with responsibility should be defined in your Project Charter. The third ability speaks to the provision of adequate resources along with funding. The Estimate Activity Resources along with Activity Duration Estimating processes in Time Management describe how resource requirements are derived. Human resources are assigned to your project by the Acquire the Project Team process from the Human Resources Management area along with any various other resources, such as software testing tools, are acquired by the Procurement Management plan. Funding can be addressed from the Cost Management area, yet CMM refers specifically to the provision of the funding. This particular provision should be negotiated along with committed to at the Gate Review meeting of which happens between planning along with implementation. Funding for planning activities will only be negotiated along with committed to when your organization can be performing the project for an external customer under contract.
The fourth ability refers to your training from the area of software project planning. This particular criterion can easily be satisfied by a project manager who has been certified by the PMI as a Project Management Professional (PMP). PMI can be the most recognized certification body from the area of project management along with certification can be relatively straightforward for those who meet PMI’s criteria. Certification requires eligible candidates to pass an exam testing their project management knowledge, including planning knowledge. There are numerous PMP courses or PMP exam preparation training products available to prepare you to pass the exam.
The ability also calls for any various other person involved in planning to be trained in software estimation along with planning. This particular can be a somewhat more difficult criterion to meet. Since you will rely on Subject Matter Experts on your team to provide accurate effort estimations for the various tasks from the WBS, you will need to identify the process you will use to do the estimating along with provide any tools along with training required to use the chosen process. The process of training those individuals will be described in your Human Resources Management plan (Develop the Project Team).
Activities called for by CMM include:
- The software engineering group participates on the project proposal team. The software engineering group will be engaged from the project as team members along with SMEs as described from the Project Charter (critical or key resources) along with the Project Staff Assignments produced by the Acquire the Team process. If your project entails drafting a proposal in response to an RFP (Request for Proposal), then these documents should assign key engineering group resources to This particular work. The documents should also assign responsibility for review of the work commitments to the engineering group.
- Software planning can be initiated from the early stages of, along with in parallel with, the overall project planning. the item can be.
- The software engineering group participates with various other affected groups from the overall project planning throughout the project’s life. This particular participation will be defined by the Project Staff Assignments document, along with various other project plans which define roles along with responsibilities. These SMEs should also be assigned responsibility for providing analysis along with estimation for change requests from the Change Management plan.
- Commitments made to external groups are reviewed with senior management according to a documented procedure. This particular procedure will be your Gate Review meetings as described previously.
- A software life cycle with predefined stages of manageable size can be identified or defined. The Software Development Lifecycle Method (SDLC) should be specified in your project charter as part of your approach to the project. Stages or iterations will be further defined from the WBS along with schedule.
- The project’s software development plan can be developed according to a documented procedure. This particular documented procedure can be called the Project Management Plan. This particular can be one document or many. This particular activity also specifies of which the plan can be negotiated with the software engineering group doing project work along with various other groups of which are stakeholders, along with of which the plan can be managed along with controlled. Management along with control activities are specified from the Project Management plan along with Change Management plan.
- The plan for the software project can be documented. Documentation will be the Project Management plan, including the project schedule. This particular activity specifies software configuration management along with This particular process should survive the project. If there can be no software configuration management plan in place for your project to use because you are creating a brand-new system, your project management plans should include creation of a configuration management plan.
- Software work products of which are needed to establish along with maintain control of the software project are identified. This particular refers to the files of which will be checked into the source library along with managed by the configuration management plan. These files will be specified in Detail Design Documents (DDDs), the WBS, along with the project schedule.
- Estimation can be done according to a documented procedure. This particular activity specifies of which organizational experience in estimation be used to guide the current estimation along with of which historical information be consulted when available. This particular refers to the “Enterprise Environmental Factors” along with “Organizational Process Assets” which are inputs to many PMBOK processes including the Activity Duration Estimation process. The activity further specifies of which the estimates should be agreed to by the folks performing the work. Although This particular can be not spelled out from the PMBOK the item can be always a not bad idea to hold the resource agree to the work along with deadline they are asked to commit to. This particular agreement along with commitment needs to be documented somewhere from the Project Plans.
- A documented procedure can be used to estimate project effort along with cost.These procedures should be documented from the Time Management plan along with Cost Management plan. Agreement to effort estimations can be described above along with agreement to cost can be achieved during Gate Review meetings described from the Communications Management plan
- A documented procedure can be used to estimate critical computer resources. This particular can be a specific instance of the resource estimation produced by the Estimate Activity Resource along with the Activity Duration Estimation processes along with captured from the Time Management plan.
- The project’s software schedule can be derived according to a documented procedure. This particular can be accomplished by the procedures described from the Time Management area, up to along with including the Schedule Development procedure.
- The risks are identified, assessed along with documented. This particular can be part of your Risk Management plan.
- Plans for the project’s software engineering facilities along with support tools are prepared. This particular can be part of the Estimate Activity Resource procedure. Acquisition of non-human resources can be managed by the WBS, or the Procurement Management plan where resources must be procured externally.
- Software planning data are recorded. The estimates will be recorded from the schedule along with estimation information, including assumptions, will be recorded from the WBS. In most cases the schedule along with WBS will be one along with the same document, your MS Project file.
Measurement along with Analysis
CMM requires you to track the progress of your planning activities. The Time Management processes culminate from the project schedule so we can’t say of which This particular measurement can be supported by Time Management. The initiation of the project will usually result in a preliminary schedule of planning events, milestones, along with deliverables in your MS Project file. The planned along with actual dates in This particular file are what you will use to track progress.
CMM calls for project planning activities to be reviewed with senior management periodically. These reviews will be described in your Communications Management plan. The senior management referred to may be the project business sponsor, the project the item sponsor, or a Steering Committee, or a combination of these. Your Gate Review meeting to move the project forward through the initiation phase to the planning phase can be also verification. CMM also calls for a summary report through each of these meetings to be prepared along with distributed. Status review meetings are also called for along using a summary report can be to be issued for these meetings.
CMM requires a software quality assurance group to review/audit the project plans. This particular audit or review may be a service of which your PMO or PMC provide, if your organization has one. This particular software quality assurance group could be an existing group in your organization or of which role could be assumed by your PMO or PMC. If your organization has neither of these groups, the item will have to create one in order to satisfy This particular point.
PMP® along with PMBOK® are registered marks of the Project Management Institute.