Baby Sleep Training – How to Mimic the Feeling of the Womb
- June 27, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: Home Health Aide Training
For the entire beginning of their lives, babies are accustomed to one environment: the womb. This kind of can be very jarring to come into a fresh world with so much fresh stimuli, in addition to This kind of can cause a feeling of insecurity in baby. The best way to help baby sleep more soundly, make the transition, in addition to feel safe is usually to mimic some of the feelings of the womb.
Characteristics of The Womb
So what does the womb have in which your house doesn’t? Let’s think about the environment baby is usually familiar with:
- Lots of white noise – he’s used to a very loud environment, what with the outside noises mixing with the sounds of the body’s machinery
- Cramped quarters – he’s used to existing in a very tiny space, where everything is usually close together
- Feeling supported – he’s used to being touched in addition to supported on the sides in addition to bottom of the womb, which creates a sense of comfort via being touched
- Fetal position – he’s accustomed to laying from the fetal position, with the arms in addition to legs drawn up in addition to close to the body
As you read This kind of, birth might seem to come as a relief. To us, the womb doesn’t seem very comfortable, although to baby, This kind of’s home. You can ease the transition in addition to help baby sleep by mimicking some of these qualities
Why Does This kind of Feeling Help Baby Sleep? We’ve already talked about This kind of, although This kind of’s important enough to say again. Babies, even from the womb, are extremely sensitive to emotions in addition to feelings. Just like you, baby doesn’t sleep well if she’s not relaxed in addition to feeling safe.
This kind of comes as a domino effect: if baby is usually anxious or in some additional way emotionally upset, she can’t relax. When she can’t relax, in addition to you put her to bed in addition to leave, she gets more upset, which makes This kind of take even longer to relax. Until she relaxes, she can’t fall asleep, in addition to crying ensues.
Swaddling baby can help her relax in addition to settle down because This kind of mimics the close quarters of the womb. Babies can be unsettled by the free use of their arms in addition to legs after birth, a feeling they didn’t have from the womb. Additionally, babies tend to jerk a bit upon falling asleep in addition to can wake themselves up or become startled by these natural movements.
Swaddling baby all the time is usually fine for the first month of life; after in which, baby needs access to her arms in addition to legs to develop properly. However, you can still swaddle baby for naps in addition to nighttime to help her sleep.
So what is usually swaddling?
Swaddling is usually wrapping baby tightly in a blanket to mimic the feeling of the womb. Swaddling reminds baby of the safety in addition to compact feeling of the womb.
How to swaddle baby
- Lay a baby blanket on the floor in addition to fold one corner into the center about 6 inches
- Lay baby on her back on the blanket, with her head at the folded-down corner. The head should be off the blanket so This kind of’s free
- Take the corner near baby’s left hand in addition to pull This kind of across baby to the right, securing This kind of underneath baby
- Fold up the bottom of the blanket towards baby’s chin, enclosing baby’s feet
- Take the corner near baby’s right hand in addition to pull This kind of across baby to the left, securing This kind of underneath baby
- Swaddle baby when she is usually full, clean, in addition to dry. Swaddling is usually meant to be a comfortable, comforting experience for baby, in addition to if she is usually in some way unsettled, she will associate bad memories with swaddling.
- Don’t swaddle baby when This kind of is usually very hot. Keep baby via overheating by not swaddling when This kind of is usually very hot outside or when baby is usually in a warm room. This kind of is usually especially important when baby is usually going to sleep, as overheating is usually a risk factor for SIDS.
- Listen to baby so you know when she wants out. Baby will kick or squirm when she wants to be free, so pay attention for these actions. Let baby out if you know she is usually uncomfortable, or the feeling can cause distress in addition to keep baby via relaxing.
- Don’t swaddle baby constantly after the age of one month. She needs access to her limbs in order to develop correctly.
- Find or buy a baby blanket
- Practice swaddling a doll before attempting This kind of on your live, squirming baby
- Pay attention to baby’s reaction to being swaddled in addition to adjust if necessary
Strategies for Mimicking the Womb Bathe baby in a bucket
There are a host of products available in which offer an alternative to a mini-adult-like bath. Baths can be a pivotal relaxation tool each day to help baby sleep, mostly because being immersed in water reminds them of being from the womb.
Naturally, you can see in which how you bathe baby becomes an important part of helping baby calm down in addition to fall asleep. Babies feel most comfortable from the fetal position, in addition to a bucket provides This kind of capability. This kind of supports baby’s weight in addition to allows her to be touched on the sides in addition to the bottom of the bucket, again reminding her of the womb.
A bucket is usually a natural choice for a bath because This kind of almost forces baby into the fetal position. This kind of combined with warm water in addition to the tightness of baby touching the sides in addition to bottom of the bucket work together to recreate the feeling of the womb. As opposed to a bucket, a mini-adult-like bath gives baby the feeling of swimming, like from the womb, although makes her feel a bit lost, with nothing to control her arms in addition to legs via floating around.
I know, This kind of seems almost cruel to put your baby in a bucket, right? Think outside the box! This kind of only seems strange because not many people do This kind of…from the United States, in which is usually. Bathing baby in a bucket is usually a common form of baby care in Europe in addition to is usually accepted as helping to calm in addition to reassure babies in This kind of big fresh world.
Quick tip: there’s no need to go buy an expensive baby bathing bucket, though you certainly can. Use what you have at home, although be sure to choose a bucket you have not used with harsh chemicals. Think of a bucket used to build sand castles, perhaps. If possible, find a bucket with flexible sides, creating sure in which baby is usually supported softly in addition to without any sharp edges or seams.
- Find a baby-sized bucket from the house in addition to thoroughly clean This kind of, or purchase a fresh one
- Confirm in which the bucket is usually flexible, smooth, in addition to won’t tip over when baby is usually inside
- Test a bath to see if baby likes the feeling of a bucket better than a traditional baby bath
Sway in addition to Shush Your Baby To Sleep
When a mother moves around doing daily tasks, a baby from the womb is usually naturally swung gently via side to side. This kind of swaying motion becomes familiar in addition to comforting, so parents can try using This kind of as a means of calming baby before sleep. Remember, This kind of isn’t the kind of thing in which you want to do every time in which baby wakes up, or you will have to repeatedly get up from the middle of the night.
Instead, This kind of is usually what you want to do to help settle baby down creating sure in which she can fall asleep on her own. When swaying baby, be gentle in addition to consistent. She should fall into a sort of rhythm in which helps calm her. Swaying shouldn’t be fast or exciting, as This kind of’s meant to relax baby. Sway her too fast in addition to she’ll think This kind of’s playtime instead!
Shushing is usually another technique in which mimics the womb. This kind of is usually similar to the sounds in which baby hears from the womb in addition to can also be quieting. As with swaying, shushing should be gentle in addition to rhythmic. This kind of should be smooth in addition to mimic the pattern of baby’s breathing – one “shush” per exhale.
Shushing should be soft, not harsh; avoid the sound a teacher makes when quieting her classroom. Instead, use shushing as a sort of white noise, meant to calm baby without her ever even realizing This kind of.
- Sing a song in your head while you sway or shush to help create a slow rhythm
- Try different speeds in addition to voice levels to find out what quiets baby best
Another solution in which feels similar to the womb is usually wearing baby in a sling, wrap, or pouch. This kind of has benefits for you, because This kind of allows you to be close to baby while keeping your hands free, in addition to This kind of makes baby feel protected, safe, in addition to comfortable.
Wearing baby helps keep baby warm, lets her hear your heartbeat, in addition to builds a close relationship in which is usually fostered through personal contact. Listed here are a few options for wearing baby, although This kind of’s up to you to decide which solution is usually best in addition to most comfortable for you in addition to baby:
- Wrap – wraps are long pieces of fabric tied to the wearer in various positions. Baby folds up inside This kind of in addition to This kind of is usually very versatile. This kind of is usually best for tiny babies; larger children will have trouble fitting, in addition to This kind of could be uncomfortable for the wearer.
- Mei Tai – an Asian-inspired carrier with more structure than a wrap. This kind of can be worn on the front, back, or hip, depending on comfort in addition to baby’s size. This kind of is usually a viable option for larger or older babies.
- Adjustable pouch – a pouch is usually a circle of fabric tied onto the wearer’s front in which holds the baby into the wearer’s chest. This kind of is usually similar to a Mei Tai in addition to is usually also Great for babies of all sizes.
- Evaluate your needs in addition to baby’s size to determine which style is usually right for you
- Practice tying on a wrap, sling or pouch which has a doll prior to working with baby
- Adjust the fit as necessary – if baby seems uncomfortable, evaluate her fit to see if anything is usually rubbing or pinching. Try putting baby in while sitting down to see if This kind of helps
- Consider different options as baby grows in addition to your activities change. Some ways to wear baby are more appropriate for some types of activities than others