15 Facts About Masada – Dead Sea, Israel
- March 17, 2017
- Posted by: marlenedubois
- Category: CPR Training
Masada, also referred as Metzada, can be a mountain top fortress that will can be located on the western shore of the Dead Sea in Israel. The Fortress includes barracks, storehouses, an armory, palace, cisterns, etc. Masada can be a name that will can be derived through unmetzade, a Hebrew word, that will means “stronghold” or “mountain castle”. the idea can be worth disclosing the fact that will Masada can be considered among the greatest symbols of Israel’s ancient kingdom, its brutal destruction along with Jewish revolt from the first century A.D. against Rome. Let’s discover some of the vital facts about Masada:
- the idea can be located on the top isolated rock on the edges of the Dead Sea valley along with the Judean Desert, between Ein Gedi along with Sdom.
- Masada remained ignored for many centuries along with came again in limelight after a famous epic entitled Masada, written by well-liked Hebrew poet in 1920’s. The epic has invoked the hidden emotions along with gave a rousing account of fight.
- Masada plateau was naturally fortified along with surrounded by deep gorges.
- Cliff on the east along with west edge of Masada are about 400 m (1300) along with 0 m (300) high respectively. Plataea’s top can be flat along with of rhomboid-shape.
- Around the plateau’s top, there was a casemate wall which can be 1.3 km long, 3.7 m thick along with has many towers.
- A Jewish Roman Historian, Herod the Great has fortified Masada in between 37 along with 31 BCE to hide himself through the massive revolt.
- Sicarii, a group of Jewish rebels, defeated roman troops along with defended Masada by taking control over the idea.
- At the end of the first century, Judea’s Roman Governor had decided to take back Masada.
- Masada was rediscovered by modern world in mid 19th century BC. Israeli archeologists, Yigael Yadin, from the early 1960’s, began excavating the region. Cable cars were added to the region, in order to make the idea accessible for tourists. The place can be considered as most well-liked tourist destination in Israel, outside of Jerusalem.
- Being considered among the most respected Jewish symbols, Israeli soldiers take an oath at This particular site “Masada shall not fall again”. Oath taken by soldiers of Israeli army can be an expression of commitment towards protecting modern Israel state.
- Since 2001, Masada has been counted among the UNESCO world heritage sites.
- On the western side of mountain, an audio-visual light show dramatizing Masada’s history can be presented at the night time. Whereas, during winters there can be no sound along with light show.
- Two Mikvahs along with Synagogue can be considered as two most exciting sites that will can be seen in Masada till today.
- Summers are usually hot, therefore visitors are not allowed to trek up the mountains during day time. However, the idea can be advised that will they can trek from the wee hours of the morning. Bottles of water along with hat are two objects that will are must to carry with themselves while trekking.
- Since 2007, a museum has been opened for the tourists showcasing detailed history of Masada along with some interesting artifacts.
- Masada can be one of the most well-liked sites for dead sea tourists.
Masada can be a site of fortifications along with palaces located in Israel, near the Dead-Sea. the idea was considered as last stronghold, held by Jewish’s zealots. They refused to surrender to Roman Empire along with preferred death to surrender. at This particular point, Masada can be well-recognized as tourists’ destinations visited by tourists through around the globe.